The first records of Mykyluchyn are found in historical documents of the 15th century. There exist materials about the village from an ancient time when Prince Danylo Halytsky presented the surrounding lands to the governor of province Mykula and that is why the village has such a name. The settlement is very old here. During archaeological dig copper instructions were found in Mykulychyn and stone shot from Stone Age. According to the data of 1912 Tatariv and Vorokhta (which were hamlets then) belonged to Mykulychyn. Mykulychyn was an important administrative and territorial center until 1939.
At the beginning of 20th century first villas and resorts appeared here. In 1901, the first Ukrainian hotel “Public Hotel” was opened here. Lesia Ukrainka and Ivan Franko were also known to take vacation here in their time. Lesia Ukrainka is painted with Hutsul necklace made of beads in many portraits. Lesia’s uncle once brought one of these paintings at a local craftsman and presented it to her. Nowadays there are still many craftsmen in the village – carvers, painters etc.
The village started developing after the construction of the highway. Here, a glass factory and sawmill were established, which lasted until the late 1900s. The village was famous for its wood-processing plants – In the 1930s there were several tartaks (wood-processing plants) where the villagers worked. Sheep breeding was quite widespread, up till now it was an important part of the villagers’ lives.
As a health resort, Mykulychyn was famous for treatment with Zhentysia (sheep whey). By 1927 Vorokhta and Tatariv were a part of it and It was believed to be one of the largest Hutsul villages.
In 1910-1944 a 20.9 km long narrow-gauge railway was built for transporting wood from the mountain areas of Polianytsla Chemynlvska and Kopchyn. The tourists eagerly used the railway to watch the marvelous views of nearby mountains.
In 1901 Lviv Society Narodna Hostynnytsla rented a villa near the railway station from Parson Tadei Halaichuk and opened a Ukrainian hotel where there was a library with a reading room.
Between World Wars I and II, travelers had a choice of where to stay: three tourist stations, a hotel, a boarding house, a health centre of Lviv typographers and health resorts of Lviv academic schools in Mykulychyn, In 1938 the monument to Queen Jadwiga (1374 -1399), the patron of all students, was erected near the latter.
Mykulychyn has always been the centre of production of carved and incrusted (the so called ‘decorated’) tables. In the early 1920s, a store selling art objects by folk craftsmen was opened in the village.
In the last quarter of the 1920s, numerous children’s holiday camps were functioning in Mykulychyn. After Ukraine became independent, a number of boarding houses were built which comply with the highest demands for recreation. Eco-tourism which involves staying in village cottages is highly popular.
According to the latest data, Mykulychyn has a population of about 5000 in a total area of 15841 hectares. It is the longest village in Ukraine; it starches out for 16 thousand hectares. It is also called the valley of winds because warm and cold air masses meet in this place. Mykulychyn is located at the height of 600-800 meters above the sea level. There are several mountain tops on its territory – Mount Chertizh on the right side of the Prut River, Mount Lyshniv (660 m above the sea level) and the Vorokhtansky Mountain Range (above the sea level) to the northeast.
Mykulychyn on map